Kookaburra V 2.0.0

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Homayoun

Re: Kookaburra V 2.0.0

Post by Homayoun » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:32 am

dorsz wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:32 am
OrgZ did you try to fix it?

Today is the day I wanted to release new Kookaburra where I did many changes. It is stronger than v2.00, but latest Stockfish is even slightly stronger so to be honest I recommend to use it instead.
Hi Dorsz
I think strength is not every thing for chess fans even about derivatives. Sometimes a slight different playing style or even an interesting name for an engine can attract many chess fans. I personally never care about strength, playing style is much important for me. So if you have any plan to release your engines, and you think that they play almost different than stockfish, then please don’t worry about strength.
Best regards

dorsz

Post by dorsz » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:31 pm

Hi!
Since Stockfish abandoned classical evaluation and it is using 2 nets it is very difficult to change the playing style.

OrgZ

Post by OrgZ » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:16 pm

dorsz wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:32 am
OrgZ did you try to fix it?

Today is the day I wanted to release new Kookaburra where I did many changes. It is stronger than v2.00, but latest Stockfish is even slightly stronger so to be honest I recommend to use it instead.
No luck buddy. Crash after crash ended up deleting everything.😉

sarona

Post by sarona » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:34 am

Consider using Khalid's polyglot source found in Polyfish. It is much easier to convert and it is GPLv3 (just add his name to the AUTHOR's file). I was able to update the source to March 3 SF dev after a few issues (UCI class removal and Utility name conflict - both easily solved).

If you were able to compile the old polyglot code into Kookaburra, try using a debugger to isolate the problem area. Something like Visual Studio. Or examine your compiler logs for possible warnings that can be further explored.