Windows 8 ? waste of time

Whatever else you want to talk about. Forum rules still apply.
JcMaTe

Windows 8 ? waste of time

Post by JcMaTe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 pm

lost time installing windows 8 only to realize it's like having compiz ( compiz is way better jeje ) but it seems a copy of linux and is more difficult to use.
give it a try and you'll have better idea what I'm talking about
'A Great Compliment'

"There is no question that Windows 8 has taken a lot of ideas from Linux," Chris Travers, a Slashdot blogger who works on the LedgerSMB project, told Linux Girl. "Early demos made it look a lot like Compiz."

The important thing, however, is that "this shows that the past views of the Linux desktop simply copying Windows was not correct and hasn't been correct for some time," Travers pointed out.

User923005

Re: Windows 8 ? waste of time

Post by User923005 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Windows 8 is "Microsoft Bob" reborn.
They assume that end-users are complete and utter idiots, literally incapable of intelligent thought.
So it might be a nice OS for complete and utter idiots, but intelligent people will find it annoying.
Perhaps that opinion is egotism on my part, because I found it incredibly annoying.
So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:11 pm

User923005 wrote:Windows 8 is "Microsoft Bob" reborn.
They assume that end-users are complete and utter idiots, literally incapable of intelligent thought.
Sounds like they've copied Gnome 3.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:17 pm

syzygy wrote:
Sounds like they've copied Gnome 3.
lol, i tested in virtualbox, thought it was fine...
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

HumbleProgrammer

Post by HumbleProgrammer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Speaking as someone who has developed software for 25+ years (and yet still knows very little) I find Windows 8 both intriguing and annoying. Obviously, Micro$oft believes that desktop computing (Windows) and mobile computing (phones/tablets) are going to merge, and the "Personal Computer" is simply going to be another appliance -- like a toaster or a car radio. You buy one, use it until it breaks or a newer model comes out, and discard the old one...all without ever opening the box. Just as high-school kids quit souping up their cars in Dad's garage, all but the most dedicated computer types will stop tinkering with their home computers. Early versions of Windows--and Linux in particular--encouraged hybrid or "Frankenstein" systems by providing a wealth of user-configurable drivers and settings. Since then, Micro$oft has consistently tried to take the burden of integrating new components away from the user: when I plugged in a new Kodak printer, it identified itself to Windows 7, automatically downloaded the latest driver from the Kodak website, asked me for administrative permission to install, and was working fine within minutes. From start to finish, I pushed ONE button. That's "appliance computing" and that's where Micro$oft sees our future.

Is this a good thing? For me...no. I like tweaking my computers, and regularly crack open the box to fiddling with hardware; my lovely bride, on the other hand, couldn't care less: as long as the computer boots, she's happy. Sadly, in the consumer world that Micro$oft panders to, I am becoming the minority and she is becoming the majority. After bashing the Windows 8 Preview around from several weeks, I have come to the conclusion that its an excellent Operating System...as long is you don't care about it.

Cheers!
Humble Programmer
,,,^..^,,,

alext180

Post by alext180 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:36 pm

I do not mind windows 8 too much but I HAD to download a start button feature so I installed Classic Shell...

Octopus

Post by Octopus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Well, I made a cheap upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
But this was not a good deal, instead a kind of a nearly suicide.
Thus last days I reinstalled Windows 7 completely.

Microsoft seems to be convinced, that my laptop should be a
smartphone, but I am very sure, it isn't. And they seem to
think, that information has to annoy me instead of to be found
by me, when I am interested in any new details.

The computer has to react to my commands and not vice versa.

Odeus37

Post by Odeus37 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:01 pm

So it might be a nice OS for complete and utter idiots, but intelligent people will find it annoying.
Perhaps that opinion is egotism on my part, because I found it incredibly annoying.
So take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I tried the 90 days trial version on a virtual machine (vmware player), and I totally agree with you.